Website Port Houston
Who we are:
Port Houston is the advocate and a strategic leader of the Houston Ship Channel, one of the most powerful economic engines in the state and the country. Port Houston owns and operates the public wharves and terminals along the Houston Ship Channel, including the area’s largest breakbulk facility and two of the most efficient container terminals in the country.
Through our leadership and our work, we help ensure the nation’s busiest waterway stays running to benefit the customers of the public facilities we operate, our surrounding communities and industries, and our region. Port Houston exists to move the world and drive regional prosperity.
The work we do helps build up our local community, supports the economy, bolsters goodwill for the state of Texas, and influences the outlook of the entire region. And this is only the beginning! Our best accomplishments are ahead of us as we expand the Houston Ship Channel and widen its reach to become America’s distribution hub for the next generation.
Who you are:
You are more than the work you do. We want your work at Port Houston to be more than a job – we want it to be a fulfilling experience where you find challenging and rewarding opportunities, respect among colleagues, competitive pay, benefits that protect you and your family, and a high-performance culture that values your contributions and helps you reach your career goals.
Sound like the place for you?
Constructs, maintains, and repairs facilities and infrastructure. Provides essential preventive and repair care in and around the perimeter of all properties and buildings with various skill trades. May be specialized in at least one skilled trade, including carpentry, marine, etc.
- Perform carpentry work and paint maintenance as needed
- Repair buildings and railroad tracks
- Repair concrete, asphalt, and floor covering
- Install and/or repair fencing and gates for Homeland Security
- Install, repair, and replace doors and hardware
- Build cement forms and poor concrete
- Install and repair roofs
- Perform heavy carpentry work to install wharf timbers
- Use Marine grade epoxy on marine structures, wharf markings, and vessel superstructures
- Repair concrete and steel structures utilizing epoxy grout and concrete
- Install and/or repair fall safety fencing and gates
- Install, repair, and replace safety ladders and access hatches
- Build and repair wooden fenders and cap logs using CCA timber
- Perform rope work and eye splicing
- Perform heavy duty cleat, chain and cable work to provide proper mooring design and breaking strength
- Provide underway watch stations as lookout, man-overboard, marine fire and casualty response
- Operate small boats and paint skiff safely underneath marine structures
- Perform vessel mechanical and vessel safety checks
- Work independently
- Work required scheduled overtime hours and be available for unscheduled overtime when operating requirements or other business needs of PHA cannot be fulfilled during regular working hours
- Work a temporary, alternative schedule or shift as requested by supervisor
- Act in accordance with Port of Houston Authority core values (respect, excellence, accountability, diligence, and you)
- Perform other duties as required
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required
- 4+ years construction experience required
- Marine experience preferred, for Marine specialty
- NASBLA Boaters Safety Certification required, for Marine specialty
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Behaviors:
- General knowledge of plumbing
- Knowledge of industrial painting
- General construction knowledge
- Basic knowledge of basic welding and materials
- Knowledge of air impact tools
- Knowledge or core drilling
- Ability to drive a tractor with a batwing
- Mechanical aptitude
- Verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use a zero turn lawn mower, weed eater and sweeping machine
- Ability to operate a forklift
- Ability to obtain a pesticide or herbicide license
Key Competencies Required:
- Technical/Professional Knowledge and Skills
Port Houston proudly embraces diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity. Our teams reflect our commitment to celebrating diversity and creating an equitable and inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
After you apply online, pleases send your resume to Rommell Williams; email@example.com
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org