HOUSTON (February 14, 2023) – The 2023 National Urban League Conference, returning to Houston after 24 years, will attract thousands of the nation’s most forward-thinking community and business leaders for four days of world-class speakers, informative workshops, dynamic entertainment, and networking events.
National Urban League President and CEO Marc H. Morial and Houston Area Urban League President and CEO Judson Robinson, III, made the announcement today at Houston City Hall.
In keeping with the National Urban League’s tradition, major-party presidential candidates will be invited to address the Conference.
“The Urban League Movement’s goals in the areas of employment and entrepreneurship, education, housing and health care are threatened by a rising tide of racial polarization and extremism in our governing institutions,” Morial said. “Uniting the country means removing systemic roadblocks to opportunity and embracing multicultural democracy. That’s what this Conference will explore.”
Hosted by the Houston Area Urban League, the Conference is slated for July 26-29 at the George R. Brown Convention Center. Presented in partnership with Conference Leaders Bank of America, Nationwide, Shell, Toyota, and UPS, the Conference will explore the challenges of systemic racism, discrimination, and barriers to opportunity in every aspect of the current social and economic landscape and bring together leading innovators and trailblazers in business and industry, government, and community to chart a path to success.
“In this very moment – life changing issues like rollbacks in pandemic Medicare coverage, voting rights, diverse cultural studies, and the questioning of the value of diversity and inclusion practices in hiring are directly impacting the communities we serve,” Robinson said. There is no better place or time to facilitate these critical conversations and push for greater equity than in the State of Texas.
“The issues facing the populations we serve in the Houston Area and across this state, are issues that span Urban League populations across this nation. We are proud to be the host city for this year’s annual conference and we are particularly proud to continue to champion the communities we serve, on a national stage.”
Morial and Robinson were joined by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner who discussed the impact of the Conference and the opportunities it presents for the region and community, and U.S. Reps Sheila Jackson Lee and Al Green.
“The City of Houston is a proud partner and supporter of the Houston Area Urban League and is eager to welcome the National Urban League Conference,” Turner said. “Not only will the Conference bring a significant economic impact, but it will provide incredible opportunities for the local community to explore new careers, education options, and other informative and entertaining events.”
In addition to dynamic panel discussions, forums and plenary sessions for registered attendees, the Conference features free events open to the public:
- The N.U.L. Experience & Expo brings together exhibitors from around the country for demonstrations, presentations, entertainment, product giveaways, games and other exciting activities.
- National Urban League Community & Family Day, featuring informative exhibits, free health screenings, legal clinics, live entertainment sessions, games with prizes, and backpacks loaded with school supplies for K-12 students. A special Career Fair will allow Houstonians to interview for job opportunities on the spot.
- Project Ready College Fair, featuring colleges and universities from across the country, and information on financial aid, scholarships, and college access organizations.
- The Small Business Matters Entrepreneurship Summit, a day filled with workshops, resources, and networking to help launch or your business to the next level, including networking with industry leaders, potential investors and successful entrepreneurs, valuable information about MBE certification process and how to do business with Fortune 500 companies, and a pitch contest with cash prizes for the best business ideas.
- A Virtual Conference featuring special sessions for those who want to log in from home, including a nationwide Career fair with more than 50 employers, featuring free resume reviews, LinkedIn profile reviews and professional career coaching.