Today, Marc H. Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League, Judson Robinson III, President and CEO of the Houston Area Urban League, and Mayor Sylvester Turner welcome Houston area families to the National Urban League’s Community and Family Day Expo on the final day of its 4-day conference:
HOUSTON, TX (July 29, 2023) – Today, Marc H. Morial, President and CEO of the National Urban League, Judson Robinson III, President and CEO of the Houston Area Urban League, and Mayor Sylvester Turner welcome Houston area families to the National Urban League’s Community and Family Day Expo on the final day of its 4-day conference:
“Community day is a time where families from across the Houston area can come and enjoy a day where they can utilize a host of resources from health screenings to a legal clinic and the best part is, it’s all free,” said Morial. “It was important that the day be filled with excitement, entertainment, and a range of valuable resources for the entire family. I want to thank President Robinson of the Houston Area Urban League and Mayor Turner for working alongside and we are excited to welcome Houstonians to this incredible event!
“This event, which is presented in collaboration with the Houston Area Urban League, the City of Houston, and Center Point Energy, will be filled with entertainment and an array of free resources designed to cater to the needs of the entire family, including a Back-To-School Zone, a GEICO car giveaway, a student college fair, and more.
“At the BACK-TO-SCHOOL ZONE, there’s an incredible lineup of offerings to help prepare students for success, including:
- Enjoy FREE backpacks and school supplies, ensuring that every child has the tools they need for a successful academic year.
- Take advantage of FREE health screenings, ensuring the well-being of your loved ones.
- Attendees will also have access to a FREE legal clinic, aiding those seeking to clear their records and more.
- But that’s not all! The event is packed with live entertainment, games, prizes, and more, ensuring an enjoyable experience for everyone.
“In addition to the Back-to-School Zone, we present the URBAN LEAGUE NOW EXPERIENCE, which features a range of engaging activities and resources, including:
- The Brilliant & Black-Owned Marketplace, where you can support local businesses and discover unique products and services.
- The Business Experts Corner where attendees can gain valuable insights and guidance from industry professionals.
- The Recruitment Lounge offers opportunities to connect with potential employers.
- In the Community Give-Back Corner, you can learn about volunteer opportunities and contribute to meaningful causes.
- Dive into the Tech Space, where you can explore the latest technological innovations.
- Join HER Space, a dedicated area celebrating and empowering women.
- Don’t miss Kings Corner, an engaging space for men to connect and inspire.
- Lastly, the GenZone provides a platform for young people to showcase their talents and ideas.
“Community Day will also feature the Project Ready College & Scholarship Fair, where attendees can explore over 60 colleges and universities and gather information on scholarships, financial aid, resources, and more to help students who want to pursue higher education and future success.
“Lastly, GEICO will be partnering with a local auto shop to host a car giveaway for attendees to participate in.
“The 2023 National Urban League conference is set to be the largest and most influential gathering focused on civil rights and urban advocacy in the nation. Year after year, this event brings together leaders from various sectors including business, government, and social advocacy, who are dedicated to exploring critical issues and initiatives that profoundly impact the communities served by the Urban League network of 92 affiliates across the country.”